|Loosing Network on dx2200 Desktop|
Thursday, July 15, 2010
Updated Saturday, August 28, 2010
Was having problems with the dx2200 (DavesDen) loosing internet access.
a) Happens intermittently during the day. Then cannot connect remotely via LogMeIn.
b) Initially started approx June 2009
c) Got worse when daughter started vacation. Suspected related to her laptop. But still happens with the laptop off.
d) Also seemed to be somewhat coincident to adding new Windows 7 computer. Left off. Still happens. Tried same with other computers.
e) Other computers working fine.
f) Re-booting seems to fix it.
a) ipconfig repair, Network magic repair direct repair – only work sometimes
b) Removing added router WAP54G
c) Changing cable to router
d) Changed to add wireless link only or both
e) Removed extra computers from Network Magic.
f) Added scheduled re-boot at 11:30 am – recovers for a while
g) Changed address to fixed 192.168.1.66 so does not need DHCP – no effect went back
h) In case it is due to AVG tried removing - no change replaced
i) Disabled firewall – no change re-enabled
j) Network Magic reported internet connection good, but could not run internet speed test. Worked fine on other computers
k) The shared network magic folders was odd. Most of the computers (XP3) could not see dx2200 shared folders but Julis Den (win7) could but not the ones on the XP3 computers. Is it a global chimney problem?
l) Replaced usb wireless device to have both wired and wireless – then got through, but still intermittent
3) Removed Bluetooth usb adaptor – done no difference
4) Got worse so could not access network Printer HP7280 and kept loosing connections.
5) Suspected wireless mice since the pointer seemed to jump. Changed mouse on dx2200 to wired. Fixed the jumping. On Julies-HP also saw mouse jumping on the wireless mouse but not the wired mouse
6) Swapped the Actiontec router for a Linksys WRT54G. Seemed to immediately fix the mouse problems on Julies-HP.
7) Made connections for the Windows 7 machine J- HP and HP7280 wired HP program was able to find the printer.
8) Did this
a) TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.
Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot the machine.
b) Seemed to help for a short while (2 days)
9) Side issue) J-HP cannot write to the HP722c printer due to incompatability with windows 7. Moved printer to Dave’s Den.
10) Done recently
a) Reset Router
b) Swapped routers
c) Made SSID same for all router/APs tried no help
d) Make SSIDs different – is good to do
e) Changed to wired mouse
f) Changed channel to 11 on both routers – seemed to reduce mouse interference
g) Removed network magic – did not help re-installed after >one week
11) Currently when loose connection
a) IP config shows to be connected but do not get internet
b) Ipconfig/renew does not get new address
c) When stop browser – (firefox) if then do a repair internet will connect – otherwise does not as if a web site is hanging the network.
d) Was trying to connect via phone when could not connect via network. Changed network setting to say do not and use Automatic settings
e) Un-install Aventail VPN
12) Outstanding things to check
a) Re-seating network card
b) Adding Linksys WAP54G (after problem is fixed)
c) Stability of LogMeIn
d) Windows updates