Legality of Windows Installation

Microsoft Windows xp home edition
October 24, 2009 at 23:36:21
Specs: Windows XP
I planned on putting XP on another computer by buying the XP upgade, and using the key from my Windows ME so it will go through. This would be a clean XP install, but I was wondering if it was legal since this person doesn't own any previous Windows software.

Another option might be using the XP product key on the side of his computer. His OS is messed up.
Will this work, the key is probably for the original XP (no service pack), and I want to do a clean install of XP SP2.


See More: Legality of Windows Installation

Report •

October 25, 2009 at 05:32:33
Windows ME product keys won't work with XP. If there is a product key on the side of his computer, that means it came with a valid version of XP. You don't provide any info on the make and model of the machine. He should have gotten restore disks with the computer when he bought it, or there is a restore function built into the machine that uses a restore partition. You press a certain key to access it. After it's been restored to the original state, you can install SP2 or better yet SP3. If you need more help, post back with the make and model #.

Report •

October 25, 2009 at 07:11:59
To do a clean install with an upgrade CD, you'll need a CD from a qualifying version of do NOT need the product key.

All you need to do is boot off the XP CD & at some point, you'll be prompted for proof of a qualifying OS. Eject the WinXP CD, pop in the WinME CD & wait til you get the OK. Then swap CDs again & continue with the install. The only product key you'll need is the one that comes with the upgrade CD.

Of course, there are other ways of getting XP without paying for it, but those methods can't be discussed in these forums ;-)

Report •

October 25, 2009 at 07:33:26
If he has a valid XP COA on the side of the pc it's easy enough, & perfectly legal, to use an OEM disk to reinstall XP. The best one to use is a disk with SP2 included, this will work on the majority of SP1 & SP2 systems (there are a (very) few with manufaturer-locked BIOS's but you'd be very unlucky to have one of these). Even if you need to activate by phone (which is unlikely) the automated system will get you up & running with no problem.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us..."

Report •

Related Solutions

October 25, 2009 at 08:38:28
Depends on upgrade. I upgraded a few ME's to XP.

Sell him the ME and it will be legal.

Playing to the angels
Les Paul (1915-2009)

Report •

October 25, 2009 at 23:49:04
Thanks for the replies. The computer is a Gateway 300SE LTD. I did a search on the Gateway website and they don't seem to be selling recovery software.

I found the XP EULA online. I guess this answers my question:

To use Software identified as an upgrade, you must first be licensed for the software identified by Microsoft as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, you may no longer use the software that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility.

I would be the one who actually owned the eligible software. Another thing, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be using the previous software. I used Windows ME to upgrade to XP on one computer, and left ME on another.

Report •

Ask Question