|I have two XP user accounts (both administrator accounts) and about a week ago one of the accounts could not run Itunes after an attempt to upgrade to version 8.0. If you clicked on the Itunes icon the following would happen:|
1)Windows installer prompt would pop up and say that it needed to configure itunes
2) It would count down time remaining jumping from from 20 seconds to 10 seconds to 51 seconds to 4 seconds...etc.
3) Finally it would ask to restart the computer and I would select Ok. The my computer panel would pop up briefly and then the CPU would shut down.
4) Once I rebooted I clicked on the icon and the same process happened again.
So I first removed itunes from the add/remove in my control panel and re-installed the program from apple. That didn't work and I got the same message.
Then I went apple support site and followed all their detailed directions including:
1) removing itunes, quicktime and related applications from the add remove program menus.
2) deleting temporary files and removing remaining related folders in program files and emptying the recycle bin
3)downloading microsoft updates
4) and finally, attempting to download the Windows installer utility clean-up (it will download on the other account where itunes had been working, but the other user account will not let me do it. I get the message "Error 1317: An error occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\Program files\Window Installer Cleanup
I am at a loss as to what to do. Why does Itunes work on one user account and not the other? Anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I am so tired of uninstalling and re-installing...done it 6 or 7 time already. Any help would be much appreciated!