google wont load or search

Hewlett-packard Pavilion a4316f-b deskto...
February 22, 2010 at 11:23:29
Specs: Windows XP, unknown
google wont load on firefox or internet explorer. Scanned with AVG, COMODO, SuperAntiSpyware, and Spybot Search and Destroy, also QHOST removal tool. Nothing comes up. Did a system restore, to no avail. If the IP address for google is typed in the page itself will load, but when I type anything into the search box, the same message comes up. The connection has timed out

The server at is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the web. I have had my internet providers here to check the lines and all that, they are fine.

See More: google wont load or search

Report •

February 22, 2010 at 20:59:52
Sweet Petite, are you going to:
I just went there to be sure it works properly on my XP Pro. Maybe you need to update your driver(s)?
Ed in Texas.

Report •

February 23, 2010 at 13:23:14
Thank you for your response. I spent 14 hours yesterday researching this problem, and it takes more than a dirty Hosts Trojan with a queer name to get me down. I found a form of QHost on my computer. Not the regular ones, because none of the regular tools did the trick. However, when I, in safe mode, browsed through my Windows system 32 folder under driver, etc, hosts; there was a whole list of phony addresses for google everything. I deleted them, then scanned with smitfraud then cleaned, then ran a disk clean up, then ran a clean on the regestry then I rebooted, then I replaced the infected files, then I rebooted, then I restarted in safe mode went to c:/Windows/Temp clicked edit, select all, delete. Then I went to c:/Documents&Settings/[listed user]/lacolsettings/temp, clicked edit, select all, and delete. Reboot, and then updated my Windows, restarted. After all this I got online and went to Google... Halelujah the page loaded right up, and then the real test I typed tree into the engine, and praise God information on trees came up. All of the phony addresses started with a 7, and the real ones were all 127.0 etc. the QHost.WU trojan writes addreses starting with a 9, so I don't know what it was specifically. Thank you for responding so quickly though.

Report •

February 23, 2010 at 22:15:34
Check your firewall settings and see if it specifically includes or excludes anything significant.
Try uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling fresh (or at least upgrading to the latest version) to repair any possible damage.
Also don't overlook the possibility that one of your new protection utilities is blocking specifically Google access thinking it is the same junk trying to get access again (it might now be overly protective in that area)

Report •

Related Solutions

February 23, 2010 at 22:19:29
Whew! Wore me out just reading about your ordeal! Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Report •

February 25, 2010 at 11:44:47
thank you for the reply, those were the first things I was doing, months ago. This started happening about 3 months ago. And without Google it was hard to search out what the problem might be. However, I figured it out, and I kicked it's proverbial ars. It is a rare Trojan, a form of QHost, but not detectable by any of the Qhost, tools specifically. I had to find it's computer language name, and figure out what the authentic ones were, and find it myself in safe mode... and annihilate it.

Ed in Texas,
Thank you, it was exhausting, but this thing is a machine like any other and can be operated, I'm sure of it! This beast certainly takes a great deal of patience, something I truthfully lack. But with a lot of prayer and a little luck, I got the job done.

Report •

Ask Question