|This is an update for this post, it was locked because it was old ;)|
Ok, not really a question or problem, just a solution, so people can find it when googling ;)
If you are still using Windows Live Messenger 8.5, you get this popup everytime you login:
"Want the latest version of Messenger? It's ready to be installed" or "Pretende obter a versão mais recente do Messenger? Está pronta para ser instalada" (Portuguese version)
1. Download and run Resource Hacker
2. Make a copy of C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe (just in case)
3. Use Resource Hacker to edit msnmsgr.exe
4. On the left pane, Navigate to Version Info -> 1 -> 1033
5. On the right pane, replace
VALUE "ProductVersion", "8.5.1302"
VALUE "ProductVersion", "14.0.8089.726"
6. Push the "Compile Script" button
7. Save (ctrl+s) and Exit
Open Messenger and login, popup gone!
NOTE FOR FUTURE VERSIONS: I tried using 15.0.0000.000 and also worked, so i guess this number might work for all future versions of Windows Live Messenger 2009. If not, just open Windows Live Messenger 2009 at someone else's computer, go to Help -> About, and see what the new version number is. Will this trick work for 2010 and greater versions? Who knows... :)
I only do what the voices in my head command...