Defrag Unmovable files?

January 10, 2007 at 08:18:33
Specs: WinXP PRO sp2, p3@4
Hello ! and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!

Is there any program that I can use so I could move the unmovable files (system files) to the front side of my hard disk ?

Defrag from Windows XP SP2 cannot do that.

Thank you in advance!

Digital Family.

See More: Defrag Unmovable files?

Report •

January 10, 2007 at 08:32:20
You could try this Shareware Utility

" If at first you don't succeed, Please Post Back "

Report •

January 10, 2007 at 09:08:19
I not sure about freeware, but a good one is 'Perfect Disk' Once a 'Smart Placement' defrag has completed, next select 'Offline Defrag' and it will accomplish what you want.

Report •

January 10, 2007 at 09:43:32
Sysinternal's contig can be used to defrag an existing file, or to create a new file of a specified size and name, optimizing its placement on disk. Contig uses standard Windows defragmentation APIs so it won't cause disk corruption, even if you terminate it while its running.

if you're not comfortable with using the program from a command prompt, here's a GUI for Contig

and if you don't mind to cough up a few bucks, here's one i recommend:

p/s.: i have been using perfect disk a long time, voptXP before that (with sp1 they ran into some troubles which i suppose have been fixed by now :-) and was pretty satisfied with the both of them. but this one really beats 'em all and it's dead fast too.

Today's subliminal thought is: 'Calm down ... it's only ones and zeros.'

Report •

Related Solutions

January 10, 2007 at 13:02:54
Thank you so much guys! I will try one of them and inform you !

Thanks! :)

Digital Family.

Report •

Ask Question