|Cannot write data files to cd-rw using Windows CD writing wizard anymore.|
- I've been using this CD-RW drive for 4 years (more specifically, it's a CD burner/ DVD reader );
- lately, I've been using it extensively to burn data to CD-RW's;
- But today, all of a sudden-like, when I right click on the drive with an empty CD-RW in it, the "Erase CD" menu option is gone; first clue something's wrong;
- HOWEVER, when I right click and select properties, it says that there are 702 MB free; so obviously it knows there's an empty CD in there;
- Also, CD burning is enabled on the Recording tab for the drive;
- I selected a bunch of files to write, then sent them to the drive, as always;
- Then, I selected write these files to CD, as always;
- The Burn wizard starts, as always, but now won't burn;
- I've also checked the registry under hkey_current_user and hkey_local_machine, and for both "NoCDBurning" is set to 0;
- I've unchecked/re-checked enable cd burning on the recording tab;
- I've disabled/re-enabled the drive through device manager;
- I've attempted to update drivers through device manager (no better drivers available ):
- I unistalled the drive and rebooted; no dice.
HERE IS THE REALLY FUNNY PART:
USING Windows Media Player, I can erase the CD that way, AND burn a music CD.
I just can't write data files any more!
POSSIBLY VERY IMPORTANT: right before this trouble started, I installed Nero 9 (free download version), THEN uninstalled it. Any connection?????
So -- obviously, it's not the drive; something's totally jacked up with Windows settings, probably some registry setting I'm not aware of.
SUM UP: I Can erase CD-RW and write music cd's using WMP11; just cannot write data to cd using windows burn wizard anymore;