i had exactly the same problem. However, i am not using Roger's or Norton. Browser is Opera. Asked help from Yahoo, and they sent me an email. Following their instructions, i have successfully installed the Yahoo! Messenger.
Here are parts of that email:
"Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Messenger.
You may have a corrupt file in your Messenger directory. To fix the
problem, you must manually delete the "Messenger" directory on your C:
drive (default), then reinstall the Messenger program.
1. Close the Messenger program if you currently have it running, also
please make sure all instances of Internet Explorer are closed.
2. Go to your desktop and double-click on "My Computer."
3. Click on "C:" drive.
4. Go to:
- "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\"
5. Highlight the Messenger folder and press the "Delete" key on your
keyboard. (All archives will be deleted if they are not copied. Please
The next step is to install:
1. Close all running programs except for your Internet browser.
2. Please visit the Messenger home page:
3. Click the "Get it now" button.
To copy your complete Message Archive:
1. Close Messenger (if it is currently running).
2. Go to your Desktop and double-click "My Computer."
3. Select the C: drive.
4. Go to:
- "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles"
5. Your "Profiles" folder contains your complete Message Archive. Copy
it to the same location on another machine if you wish to view it
Please Note: If you copy this folder to another machine, your complete
Message Archive will be copied, overriding the Message Archive on the
machine to which you are copying.
Please let us know if this does not solve the problem.
We recommend that you upgrade to the current version of Microsoft
Internet Explorer. If you use Netscape or Mozilla Firefox as your
browser, you don't have to switch to Internet Explorer, or even run
Internet Explorer. However by upgrading to the current version of
Internet Explorer it will offer you increased functionality and
stability with the latest version of Messenger.
Microsoft Internet Explorer is available as a free download and can be
Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care."