|Hi:Just Curious what Type of Firewall /antivirus are you Running ?|
A lags Problem Related to so many thing also the Cpu usage @ 100 level or so means that there is Something Running in the Background & use a heavy Resources
Anyhow:A whole bunch of stuff you can do. Run through all of
the following and get back to us:
1. Get AdAware (from Lavasoft) and Spybot. Install both, update
them both, then run them both three times. Full scan on the first scan, and then Smart Scan thereafter with the AdAware.
2. Go to Start - Run - (then type in this:) %temp%. Delete
everything here except the latest file; Windows won't let you
remove it anyway.
3. Go to Windows - Temp and delete everything here except the
3a. Also, go to Windows - Prefetch and delete everything here.
3b. Go to Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and get rid of
the stuff you don't use anymore.
4. Get Diskeeper ($20) and defrag your machine. If the $20 is
a problem you can use the DeFrag native to XP
(it's Diskeeper Lite), but it doesn't do as good a job.
5. "BUY" a good Registry clean-up app (the free ones are not
as aggressive in compacting). I think REGISTRY FIX is
the best; and make sure you register the program within
itself, otherwise you won't get the full scan. Run the
scan twice to get out all the thousands of pieces of crap
that have accumulated over the last three years.
6. Right click your "C" drive; go to Properties - Tools - Error Checking. Check off both Disk Options and then "Start". XP now wants to boot to run this program. Let it! Go have your favorite beverage while it works. It might take up to an hour.
The programs I suggested to buy you will use the rest of
your computer life to keep your Windows XP clean and tight.
They are worth it.