Compaq Presario 2200 just stopped turning on

March 18, 2011 at 11:33:22
Specs: Win 98 pk2
Please help! I unplugged the laptop from the back for one day. It was perfectly fine then. When I plugged back in, it wouldn’t turn on, the light was an amber color, but then just went off and never on again, but a little flash here and there. I thought the battery was dead so I let it charge for a few hours, but nothing. Then I thought the AC cord got damaged by a power surge. So I bought a new cord, but that wasn't it.

I tried taking out the battery and plugging it in without the battery in there also, but I must have the kind that has to have the battery in there to turn on, because there was no change. The power button looks a little sunken in, could it be that. Or can the battery just die so quick without any prior symptoms? I can easily take it all apart and look for obvious signs of lose wires, plugs, etc.... But want to get some advice first.

Please help me figure this out, I don’t have money to go have it fixed somewhere, and I’m able to work on it myself.

Thank you

See More: Compaq Presario 2200 just stopped turning on

Report •

March 18, 2011 at 15:15:21
"The power button looks a little sunken in, could it be that."

If it's stuck downwards such that the power switch it's pressing on is on all the time, the computer cannot start up.

Laptop no video (or video problems), and battery, AC adapter, power jack T shooting.

See response 1:

If there is nothing wrong with your AC adapter or it's connection and the jack in the laptop.......

Laptop main batteries usually work as they should for a year or so, then they begin to rapidly deteriorate. From what I've seen, by two years they cannot be charged to anywhere near their full capacity, and it gets worse after that.
They often develop internal shorts when they are older. If the battery gets HOT rather than just warm after you have attempted to charge it for at least a half hour, or after you have been using the laptop for a while with the AC adapter plugged in, it's definitely internally shorted and you must replace it. Internally shorted batteries getting too hot have been known to cause the laptop to catch on fire.

Tips about battery charging problems on Dell laptops - may apply to other makes.
See response 3 in this by iTech:

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question