|I have read almost every thread out there about this problem, and I just cannot find the solution.|
I have outlook, not outlook express.
I have comcast mail. I was receiving and sending emails fine until a month ago.
I can receive emails with no problem.
I cannot send emails.
I have tried disabling firewalls (symantec and xp), I have checked the port (25), I have checked the smtp: mail.comcast.net (same as the pop3 incoming). Everything looks just as it did before...
I have even created a new account under a different incoming/outgoing mail server (my school) and I was able to send and receive emails just fine. But not with the comcast account.
I have contacted comcast and they said their service works fine. And they walked me through all the steps above and just said that they had no idea. Neither do I.