|1: i386 is XP. |
2: Your i386 may be hidden, unhide your files.
To access: Control Panel > Folder Options or My Computer or Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options,
tick/check > Show hidden files and folders. Also uncheck > Hide protected operating system files. Click > Apply & OK.
How to see hidden files in Windows
1. Click “Start” -> “Run…” (or press Windows key + R)
2. Type “regedit” and click “Ok”.
3. Find the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL
4. Look at the “CheckedValue” key… This should be a DWORD key. If it isn’t, delete the key.
5. Create a new key called “CheckedValue” as a DWORD (hexadecimal) with a value of 1.
3: Using the borrowed i386 is Ok, as long as it matches your version.
4: You will be better off making your own copy of XP, using i386 & SP3.
5: Put the i386 folder in the appropiate place on your HDD.
6: How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD on a System with Windows Pre-loaded