burner lists as a printer

November 14, 2009 at 13:10:51
Specs: Windows Vista, 2.0 Ghz with 2Gb RAM
Doesn't detect as infected, but suddenly my
external USB optical drive (read-writer) lists in
the Windows directory as what I defined for
naming my HP460.

Then when I also plug in the printer (while the
burner's 'online'), the printer was named
'Removable Drive'.

So while I've changed the printer's name back to HP460, the burner's name refuses to allow me to re-name it, now in the My Computer
window name column, the printer (HP460) is listed twice (once as a CD Drive and once as a removable device).

This issue is seen on both my system's (XP
SP3 and Vista Home Prem SP), but I think on
the Vista, yesterday I succeeded in properly
renaming these device, but today the snafu

This all seems to have begun about the same
time as when I experienced an issue with the
opening of Windows Movie Maker (it would
open briefly in the collections mode, with a
now defunct once used clip with it's thumbnail
displayed as a white blank and red "X".

That issue got out of hand when I simply
deleted the defunct clip's thumbnail that was
displayed in the collections pane and then
MSWMM seemed to freeze up.

Thereafter every time I tried opening MSWMM,
it would prompt that there was a problem and
needed to close. The only way I could find to
fix it was system restore (as even running sfc
didn't help).

So now the burner/printer naming issue is
getting me a bit concerned as something's
definitely a muck with things.

Odd that I'm able to change the printer's name
back to HP460, but disallowed name changing
the burner.

I suppose uninstalling the printer's software on both machines might be something to try, but it seems pretty un-fathomable that both system's printer software got corrupted.

Regards and hap-e-trails, Steve Hopper

See More: burner lists as a printer

Report •

November 14, 2009 at 16:35:18
Hopefully fixed. Likeliest cause seems to have been the System Restore, as I've never seen this happen before.

Simply how seemingly fixed: First, on the XP, I re-named the bogus named drive letter to an next higher unused letter, but as the XP still dis-afforded changing the burner's name, I swapped both connections over onto the Vista which afforded me changing the burner's bogus naming.

Exactly how seemingly fixed: Right-clicked XP's "My Computer", clicked Manage, right-clicked Disk Management, scrolled down lower right hand pane to burner's listed disk, right clicked the burner's drive name, clicked Change Drive Letter and Paths, clicked Change, highlighted a differing drive letter (other than the currently listed ones for printer and burner) in the drop down menu, and clicked OK. Then swapped the devices over to the Vista machine succeeded in double-clicking the bogus name of the burner, typed in the correct one and then simply clicked it's icon.

Re-swapping these devices back and forth between machines, but the problem hasn't yet recurred. Hmm.

Maybe someone reading this saga, can verify the behavior (because as most, we'd like to discount the possibility that 75% of issues are user caused and 'we might still' fall into that category).

Regards and hap-e-trails, Steve Hopper

Report •
Related Solutions

Ask Question