I fix computers nearly every day but for some reason i find my self to be stuck on this one! Took a computer in (working from home) with the BSOD, continious restart - got the error to be a winlogon.exe fatal system error with STOP 0x135.
I have done the following:
1. Carried out chkdisk with /p /r - it found problems and repaired
2. Cloned the HDD onto another HDD to eliminate HDD issues, still occured which confirmed its an OS error
3. Directly copied a new winlogon.exe from the XP Home CD to the C:\windows\system32 folder, copied ok and start up now looks like it works whereas you see the keyboard lights flash and usb mouse light up and the XP loading finishes just before the logon screen the BSOD comes up.
4. Carried out all memory, MB, graphics card test etc
5. Reset CMOS
6. Tried to repair the windows xp installation
7. Tried to re-install windows xp but with a new windows folder, naming the old one windows.old, still restarted with BSOD with same error
8. Tried FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, BOOTCFG etc
What else can i do? I really can't format the hard drive as clients telephone system is on the hard drive and programs installed.
Is this a registry issue?
Oh, sorry i can't boot into safe mode - i get further but all i see is the windows screen & the mouse no option to login to the accounts, just stops but don't freeze as the keyboard still lights up CAPS etc.
Any help would be much appreciated.