Whenever I try to access any site or page from within Internet Explorer I receive the error "Action Canceled. Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable..." I am able to successfully ping any site from within command prompt, and have no problems accessing any site using any other browser such as FireFox or Opera. It is only Internet Explorer that causes problems. Also, all applications which utlize the WebBrowser / IE Control to display pages fail as well (iTunes, Steam, Legit Check Tool, etc).
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
What I have tried already (all unsuccessful):
- Reinstalled Service Pack 2
- Reset ALL Internet Explorer settings to default
- Renamed and replaced HOSTS file
- Ran Spbyot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, MS AntiSpyware, SpywareBlaster
- Cleaned registry using EasyCleaner and RegSeeker
- Ran AVG Antivirus with latest definitions
- Disabled Microsoft Firewall
- regsvr32'd Shell32.dll, Browseui.dll, Mshtml.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Actxprxy.dll, urlmon.dll, shdocvw.dll
- Went through "Windows Safe Mode w/ Networking"
- Disabled AVG Antivirus and SyGate Personal Firewall
- Navigated to an 'IP Address' rather than domain name
- Reset Winsock Control (netsh Winsock reset)
- Used the System File Checker (sfc /scannow)
- Tried to install IE 6 SP1, but couldn't due to it being an older version
I can't go to the Windows Update site nor can I perform any online virus/spyware check now that IE does not work. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it - this is annoying mainly because of how many third party applications utilize IE to display information and pages.