|I'm using a laptop; operating system is Windows Vista. Not sure what info to provide, so I right-click "Computer", click "Properties":|
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Service Pack 1
- Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P9500 @ 2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz
- Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
- System type: 32-bit Operating System
My laptop is only about 3 months old. It was working perfectly fine. But abt 3 days ago, I'm suddenly experiencing these random lags of abt a few minutes each time.
I'm using Wireless, so I'm continuosly connected to the Internet (is this good practice?) and am using McAfee (subscription is expiring in abt 2 wks).
I'll give some of my recent activities before the lag started occurring:
a) visited FaceBook
> Mafia Wars
> Street Racing
> BattleStations (been using this app quite a while now; not known to cause probs)
> GangLand (been using this app quite a while now; not known to cause probs)
b) visited CastTv.com (which might have led me to xvideos.com; mature content)
c) transferred some songs from my MP3 to my computer
d) installed LyricsSeeker from metrolyrics.com (and I failed to realise McAfee warned me abt the website giving negative test results or something..)
e) installed MapleStory -> MapleSEA (which took up abt 1.3GB; is it big?)
In view of the lags, here were the actions I took:
1) started up in SafeMode with Networking; but the lag still persisted.
2) uninstalled MapleStory; lag still remained.
3) System Restore before installing MapleStory; lag still happens.
4) uninstalled LyricsSeeker; lag still occurs.
5) run McAfee full system scan, defragmented; lag stilll exists.
6) run disk cleanup and cleared my Browsing History and Cache (3 months worth of data); but still to no avail.
I've been doing (5) quite regularly; no problems ever occurred.
Now, more abt the lags:
- it occurs at totally random points in tyme.
- evry tyme it takes place, it can last up to 3 - 5 minutes
- my mouse cursor can still move
- if I move my mouse over the taskbar, the icons/programs running may still sort of light up (a Vista thing, if you understand what I mean); but if I click, the programmes may or may not pop-up
- a few seconds into each lag, my mouse cursor will suddenly change into the "loading" mode, be it whether I was clicking on something or typing this; it's as if something is loading
- Mozilla Firefox will show it is not responding
- but I've observed from "Windows Task Manager", at the start of each lag, the CPU Usage will remain below 10 % (even 0% for a sec; quite low right?) and stay below there for a good 10 secs or so.
This is the info I have for now. I don't know what else to give. Please help me. Thank you.