|Have friend's laptop who's freaking out. When booting, we can log in at the log in screen (selecting either of two profiles), we get the Windows icon and the startup sound, but end up at a completely blank/black desktop - no wallpaper, no icons, no taskbar, no sidebar - nothing, except the mouse pointer (which moves). Worse still, while I find this issue all over the Internet, most people can access Task Manager or even right-click to get a shortcut menu, but we can't. It *does* appear that processes are running in the background, as the cursor flickers the "orb" cursor once in a while, and we still see hard drive activity. Once - only once - we *did* get a dialog pop up that updates were installed that require a reboot. We hit Restart Now, but it didn't reboot.|
He hasn't installed any new hardware or software lately, just business as usual. Turned it on one morning about a week ago, and nothing (I've been toying with it for a week now). Here's what we've tried to date:
- System Restored it back about a month's worth.
- No CTL-ALT-DEL (Task Manager) - no right-click shortcut menu.
- Same happens in *any* Safe Mode, Low Res startup, etc.
- Same happens when connecting to an external monitor.
- Went through the Vista Repair My Computer, but it doesn't find anything wrong.
- Can't do a repair install since Vista requires this be started within Windows, which we can't get to. Only full install selectable when booting from install disc.
- Connected HD to another system (USB adapter) and all files/folders seem to be there and intact - copied them off as a backup.
- Ran full ScanDisk from another system.
- Tried Remote Desktopping in, but cannot connect (guessing firewall here, or Remote Desktop not set to run - he doesn't know if he ever allowed it or not).
- Plugging into my network, the laptop *does* appear in my routers connected devices, so *something* seems to be working.
Like I said, we've been at this for some time, with no resolution. Any ideas, tips, tricks, etc., would be appreciated as we're looking at a [cringe] full reinstall otherwise. Thanks much!