|Time to install Firefox 3.0 by installing Kernel Ex for Windows 98/98SE/ME!|
"KernelEx is an Open Source compatibility layer with an aim to allow running Windows 2000/XP-only applications on Microsoft Windows 98 and Microsoft Windows Millennium operating systems."
The latest version of Kernel Ex is 4.5 beta 2, as each version brings new features and functionality, enabling compatibility with new programs that might not have been supported in the previous version of Kernel Ex.
With Kernel Ex you will be able to install Firefox 3.0 without issue.
1) Download and install Kernel Ex. You will need to reboot so save your work before continuing.
2) Download the installer for Firefox 3.0 (it's the first ".exe" link) and save it to your desktop so it is easy to locate.
3) Right-click (the right mouse button, not the normal left) on the Firefox install program, and select "properties".
4) On the compatibility tab, check the box for the operating system and change it to Windows XP SP2.
5) Click OK.
6) Now double-click the Firefox installer and you should have no problem installing. I have done this on my own Windows 98 systems and can confirm it works.
If you would like to see all the programs successfully working so far, check out the Microsoft Forum Network KernelEx App Compatibility Database
The main Windows 9x Member Projects page has link with information about updated USB drivers and pending service packs that include security patches released by Microsoft that have been modified to install on Windows 9x.