Links don't open in new IE Window.

August 26, 2005 at 05:47:35
Specs: 98SE, celeron 700 / 128

Hi,

I just noticed yesterday that when I click on any kind of link, that is supposed to open in a new Internet Explorer window - it does not open. The border of the window opens, but no content inside. I first noticed it when clicking a link in Outlook Express, and thought it was a problem with OE. Then when I was in IE, clicking on a link that opens in a new window, is when I noticed it must be an IE problem. I scanned with SpySweeper and AdAware, and still no luck....what the heck!
Thanks!!
Tim


See More: Links dont open in new IE Window.

Report •


#1
August 26, 2005 at 08:26:10

The following link was created to open in a new window when you click on it. Does the same thing happen with it?

Google.com

Bryan



Report •

#2
August 26, 2005 at 14:30:03

A) Start with the easiest and see if it works:
IE->Tools->Internet Options->Programs Tab.
Click Reset web settings button.

B) Temporarily disable anti-virus/firewall/popup blockers and toolbars. If that solves the problem, isolate which program is causing it and change settings within that program.

C) One or more of the following DLLs might be improperly registered.

1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

5. Repeat, substituting each of these additional DLLs:
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

D) If that doesn't work:
For Windows version (Win 98/ME/2000/XP) - Download iefix:
iefix.zip

It is a general purpose repair utility for Internet Explorer which repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files. Additionally if it detects Windows 2000/XP as the Operating System, it runs SFC to restore missing or corrupt Windows system files.

Requires Microsoft VB6 runtimes for Windows 98/ME systems, if you don't have them, download here:
microsoft.com/downloads

E) Start->Settings-> Folder Options->File types Tab
Locate each of the 4 file types listed below. Click Edit and click the Set Default button.

Also verify that each command line is correct:

URL:File Transfer Protocol "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

URL:Gopher Protocol "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

If you made corrections to File Types, check to see if there is any difference.

If you still have the problem - also in those File Types, Use DDE may be checked. Try Unchecking it to see if that makes your links work.

sekirt


Report •

#3
August 26, 2005 at 19:28:00

The following is one possible fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281679


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
August 27, 2005 at 04:12:05

Hi Tim, Bryan, sekirt, ham30,

I have ran into this same problem many times and found all most always it is an incorrect version of oleaut32.dll.

Software you have recently installed has replaced the version for Win98 6.0 with a version that is for WinXp.

You can check the version by going to C:\Windows\System folder, right clicking on oleaut32.dll and selecting Properties.

The correct version for Win98 is 2.40.4275.1.

For WinXp it is 5.1.2600.2800.

The easiest way to replace the file is to download mcrepair.exe.

When running it you will be prompted to overwrite 4 files. asycfilt.dll oleaut32.dll olepro32.dll and stdole2.tlb.

Select no for all of them except oleaut32.dll and click on OK.

You will be prompted to restart the computer and should now be able to open new windows.

Best Regards,
Mesich



Report •


Ask Question