|Why in the world would you open something without knowing the source. Sounds like malware to me. |
Run any malware programs you have. You could then try rolling back to an earlier version of your saved registry files.
HOW TO RESTORE SYSTEM TO PREVIOUS REGISTRY IN WINDOWS 98
1. Start the Computer with Win98 Boot Disk in Floppy A: drive
2. Choose option #2. Start Computer without CD-ROM support
3. At A:\> Prompt, type C: and press [Enter]
4. At C:\>CD Windows \Command
5. At C:\>Windows\Command\>SCANREG /RESTORE [ ENTER]
6.Restore a Good Registry Entry from the Blue Registry Checker window
7.choose a date to restore before problems occured
If the Win98 Boot disk method is used to do the Scanreg /Restore command, [Unlike Starup in MS DOS Mode or Command Prompt Only or Safe Mode Command Prompt from Windows 98 Starup reached on CTRL/F8 on Power On] typing Scanreg /Restore at C:\> and pressing [ENTER] might return "Bad Command" on the DOS Prompt.