Links not working

March 31, 2009 at 18:00:49
Specs: Windows Vista
I have a website that created from Microsoft Publisher, when I published it its working in XP but in my laptop vista links is not working. I dont have any idea what went wrong? thanks in-advance for the help.

See More: Links not working

Report •

April 1, 2009 at 06:49:58
Hi, which browsers did you test it on for your desktop and laptop? I ask because I'm wondering if there might be an issue with viewing your embedded hyperlinks on IE versus FireFox, instead of a XP versus Vista issue. To test this, test your links using IE and FireFox browsers on both your desktop and laptop.

Report •

April 1, 2009 at 18:21:19
Thanks for your reply, I tested both Firefox & IE in my laptop running with Vista & the links are still not working, but in my office which is im using XP & desktop it's really working well. I dont understand what might be the problem, is it because of the Microsoft Publisher that I used?
thanks again.

Report •

April 1, 2009 at 20:13:38
Here's your page using w3.orgs validator using its default options. You might want to try other settings too since that resource usually helps in locating problem areas.

The missing doctype *may* have some significance in the way different browsers try to render the page. I know not having a doctype set has led to some weird browser effects on pages I've created using a plain text editor... quirks mode is an unforgiving beast. :P

Good luck.

Report •

Related Solutions

April 2, 2009 at 12:56:58
Thank you again for the help its just make some sense now, maybe the way Publisher created the html is not really friendly in all browser. because its working well in the you suggest I start formatting the website again using different software? because looking all the errors makes me want to start all over again.
thanks for the help.

Report •

April 2, 2009 at 17:40:18
I can only speak for myself, but my preference has always been to use a plain text editor such as notepad and upload via ftp.

A lot of the errors returned by the validator could be caused from it using the wrong doctype to start with. Before rewriting your page, I'd mill over the help files of whatever program you used to see if it will add a correct doctype for you, and then try the validator again. Actually, I'm surprised it didn't add one... maybe it's an xml thing? That link has an example of a valid declaration about halfway... I don't really know much at all about xml docs. If you still get a lot of errors, then perhaps try something else. There are several freeware and a few commercial editors available here

I don't know how many links your site had, but when I tried them using Mozilla Firebird 0.7, the left menu appeared to work fine; however, if there were links in the right pane or bottom, then they weren't working.

Hope that helps.

Report •

April 2, 2009 at 17:58:10
Hi, when I visit your web site pages in IE on the desktop computer using Vista, all of your links seem to work fine. However, when I view your site on FireFox using the same desktop computer using Vista, the text-based hyperlinks act like normal text and you don't get any activity when you mouse-over and therefore no hyperlink capabilities.

If you are considering using different software, I'd recommend that you select a web site development tool that is completely dedicated to web site development versus a tool that does many other things related more to print publishing rather than web site development.

Dreamweaver is user-friendly, leading web site development tool that you might want to consider.

Report •

April 6, 2009 at 08:56:51
Thank you for all your reply it helps me alot to understand it more clearly now. I'll probably try to use different software that will be compatible with all the OS & browser.

thanks again to all.

Report •

April 6, 2009 at 12:17:41
You're welcome Eric. Glad to be of help.

Report •

Ask Question