|Although I only got one reply to my problem posted on Dec 05, it was a good one and it worked! So, thank you Johnr.|
I will give some details on how I got rid of this virus which may be of use to others.
As had already been suggested, I tried to rename the infected file (wininet.dll) to wininet.dl, however this did not work as apparently the virus had prevented access to the file.
However, in SAFE mode, as Johnr suggested, I was able to rename it. Furthermore, I could readily copy the wininet.dll from c:\I386 to the c:\windows\system32 folder wherein lay the infected file.
Nevertheless, the renamed file could not be deleted giving, once again, the access denied message even in SAFE mode.
In addition, no new and clean .dll file resulted as had been suggested in earlier mail.
However, some minutes later, a Norton window reported that a virus had been detected in wininet.dl and eliminated. After this, I was able to delete the .dl file with ease.
A happy ending!