|1. Before starting, download:|
a. most current AV virus def file (Symantic has an .exe file you can get through "Intelligent Updater")
b. SpyBot Search & Destroy
...put them all on a second HD, USB thumb drive or burn a CD.
2. Obtain M$ Security Update disks (both for the OS and Office).
3. Disconnect the cat5 cable to your NIC.
4. Format and reinstall OS and drivers.
5. Install AV.
6. Install the AV def file.
7. Install M$ Security Patches from disks.
8. Connect the cat5 cable from the ROUTER to the NIC (I prefer hardware rather than software firewalls).
9. Once online the very first site should be your AV supplier to get ALL available program updates.
10. Disconnect cat5 cable.
Finally you can install your favorite programs, if M$ Office is in your inventory use the Office Security Patch CD.
11. After they are in, install SpyBot.
Reconnect cat5 cable.
12. Update and run SpyBot.
13. Now is the time to get the rest of your Security Patches from "Windoze Update". While you are there check the "Office Update" site, download them all!
14. Don't cruise the Net until all the above is done. If you visited your favorite "Debbie Does Dallas" website before this, GOD only knows what you've picked up!
Be advised THIS IS AN ALL DAY JOB! Start early, DON'T take any shortcuts!
Embrace paranoia, they ARE out to get you!