|Okay, I am opening this thread on behalf of my sister, who posted here earlier today. I'm opening a new thread, because I think her old one was not very clear.|
Her computer is infected with some huge virus and several areas have been affected:
- No mouse control -- cursor simply stays in the middle of the screen
- No internet connection
- Networks do not show up -- Network Connections folder is completely empty
- Cannot start in safe mode
- USB ports are being read; so things like flash drives don't work
- the standby button on the standby/shutdown/restart menu is faded out.
She tried reinstalling the driver for the mouse, but a dialogue box (from the virus) opened up and said that "automatic installer" cannot be run. After that all of the files in the Synaptic folder were changed to have a "modify" date of today.
As per previous suggestions, we've disabled System Restore.
We've already run numerous scans using
- SUPER Anti-Spyware
- Avast -- including a boot scan
We've also run:
- CCleaner -- wiped free space, also checked for registry issues
- ATF cleaner, with all options checked.
In CCleaner, we found the a file called "advanced virus protection" in the startup section.
It's pretty impossible to run any other scanners, like Spyware Doctor or AVG, since they require an internet connection, which she doesn't have.
Earlier, she hadn't been able to run taskmanager, but for some reason it works now. Her wallpaper had been changed too, but it's back to normal now.
Any ideas as to what to do? A lot of the scanners that we are using aren't really finding anything anymore, but her computer is still obviously infected.
It's so annoying, but the virus always seems to be one step ahead, disabling all the things that we try to do to fix it. Even not having mouse control is SO ANNOYING.
If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks a lot~!