|Successful BOO/Alureon.A Removal. I've tried several approaches which failed. Here's what works:|
1. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654 "How to Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP" Read it. Expand the section on Command Actions. Best to print it.
2. Insert your XP disc in the drive and restart the machine.
3. When the prompt comes up during startup press the key F12 (?) and select the option of booting from the CD/ROM. This is necessary because Windows will have updated since installation and you will not be able to start this program from within Windows.
4. Select R to start the Windows Recovery Console
5. Select the drive affected C(?)
6. In the command window when C Windows> appears type FIXMBR, and hit enter.
7. After the acknowledgment that the repair has succeeded, and C Windows > appears again, type FIXBOOT and hit enter.
8. After the acknowledgment that the repair has succeeded, and C Windows > appears once more type EXIT.
9. Return to Windows and run Avira.
10. When Avira fails to find BOO/Alureon.A, pour yourself a drink.