Email header IP address help needed

January 14, 2010 at 04:38:23
Specs: Windows XP
I am receiving email from 2 different people. One is a friend, the other not. But the first "received from" IP address is identical.
I have read that this is the individual IP for their computer, but I have also read it's just the same email server.

I am very confused and looking for help.

Here is a portion of each of the headers, the IP at top is the first "received from" (The last one shown in the header). Both seem to be from Montreal Canada.

Does the identical IP mean they are sent from the same computer?

Is this the same computer?

Can that IP be faked? (I read it can't).

Or am I just looking at the wrong IP address to compare where these come from?

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:04:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Rom <edited> Add sender to Contacts
Subject: swan song

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 22:44:45 -0800 (PST)
From: This sender is DomainKeys verified Haley <edited>

Thank you for the help!

See More: Email header IP address help needed

Report •

January 15, 2010 at 09:56:11
You're looking at smtp/pop servers addresses of yahoo's email server. You won't figure out who is sending you emails by looking at ip address headers in your email. You're wasting your time.

Report •

January 16, 2010 at 08:41:42
Oh... ok. Well thats good news then actually.
Didnt want to find out they were the same person.

Anyway... I guess I was doing too much Googling because some of the info I found said that was the individual IP of the sending computer.

Thank you.

If anyone disagrees please let me know.. thank you.

Report •

January 21, 2010 at 05:40:03

Well, since I first posted that, someone else showed me that the IP in question (from a different email) was the person’s exact place of employment.

Does anyone have a more definitive answer?

Thank you.

And to those that noticed my cross-post, I apologize. I thought I deleted THIS one and re-posted in a more active and more appropriate forum (since there isn't one for webmail). Then it seemed my first re-post actually worked even though it wasn't listed in my "My Messages". It was a mistake.
I see it has been deleted now anyway.

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question