|Computer boots up with white screen! Please help!|
I'm 99% sure this is a virus. I was STUPID and accidentally installed something.
Here's the story:
1) I was trying to watch a video, not on youtube.
2) I ended up on "megavidmovie.com" or something like that. I hadn't read it thoroughly and thought it was MegaVideo.
3) I clicked on play and it opened another window, where it said I needed a plugin.
4) Like an idiot, I clicked on it, of course.
5) It started downloading "xvid," but it OBVIOUSLY wasn't XVid. It also said to install these other add-on things.
6) I REALIZED IT WAS A SCAM. The entire webpage was basically a photo.... Uhg.
7) I opened task manager and closed the installation, which I didn't even know had started.
8) I pretty much knew it already installed some 'stuff' on my computer and went on to Malwarebytes, to do a scan.
9) EXCEPT, Malwarebyes needed an update. So I got the update. Which you need to restart at the end to use it.
10) I clicked 'restart later', and continued using my computer normally for a while. It worked totally fine.
11) After a while I was worried and decided it was time to restart and scan. I closed everything I had open and chose Restart. When I did, though, it said something was still running and prevented it from shutting down. I don't know if that was because of the virus or because I clicked restart twice or something....
12) Anyways, it just shut down and then booted backup.
13) It DID show me the log-in screen. I logged into my account.
14) BUT it never showed ANY of my desktop.
~~~I even waited a while and restarted. I can't run my anti-virus, because it won't let me do anything. I have been trying to find something to help. I saw something about how running in "safe-mode" might let you load your desktop.... I'm sorry, but I don't really know anything about safe-mode. If I use it, would it let me run my anti-virus? What if it doesn't even find any viruses? I saw that problem, too.... I can't get a new computer or spend money on this.
But I REALLY need help. This is so.... depressing! :P
So, pleaseee. How can I solve this? I already had a big virus problem...
THANKS so much.