|Hello, I had the same hair-pulling issue with a laptop I was repairing. After an XP Home repair install the owner was getting redirected browwser searches. I took the laptop back to my office and dug into all the nooks and crannies while simutaneously reading blog after blog. For time sake I decidd to use the factory restore disk but after upgrading to IE8 and installing Firefox, i STILL got redirected!|
Then I remembered that I was using DynDNS servers on my stuff and started comparing my laptop to the repaired one. Yep, once I changed the DNS server addresses NO MORE redirects!
The search hijack may be malware but don't forget to check the DNS- ISPs and engines just aren't trustworthy anymore:(