|Most malware these days is NOT a virus - it's something else.|
Modern "anti-virus" programs also protect you from other types of malware - e.g. trojans, root kits, in some cases spyware as well, and/or the software may include a software firewall as well.
If you do not have any third party "anti-virus" programs installed, if you use the internet, your computer WILL be infected with something eventually.
It may already be infected !
"anti-malware" program is a generic term I use for anything that trys to prevent your computer from being affected by any malicious software, or by any malicious people who may try to access your computer without youir permssion such as hackers.
"anti-virus" programs, anti-spyware programs, third party software firewalls, etc. , etc. .
Other than that,
- check the system requiremnts for installing the Java version.
E.g. it may require that Windows has had SP3 updates installed in it - if you don't have those installed, you can't install it.
- the Java download you got may be corrupted.
- delete the installation file and download it again.
- uninstall any entry for the Java software in Control Panel - Classic view- Add or Remove Programs
- Restart Windows
- try installing the Java software again