|- All versions of WEP are easily cracked.|
- Disabling SSID broadcast or changing your SSID name from the default are useless.
- MAC filtering is useless.
Hacks for all of these have been available for years and even a script kiddie can execute them. If you want real wireless security do the following:
- Enable 128 bit WPA security on your system. If individual components don't support this standard UPGRADE!!!
- Use a truly random WPA password. There are websites that will generate this for you if you don't want to write or d/l a script to do it for you.
- Change your WPA password about once a month. Store it in a text file on a thumb drive and use this to change the passwords on all your clients. Or use WPA-PKA if your network will support that.
- Change your router's default password.
- Regularly backup critica files and don't store important user data (tax records, business data, etc.) on your hard drive. Write it to a CD-RW, make a copy, and store the 2nd copy offsite.