Test Equipment for BER Measurement

Rkruz January 27, 2009 at 23:08:56
Specs: Windows XP
I have a 100BaseT Ethernet Router to Ethernet Router link over several miles of fiber using TCP/IP with fixed IP addresses. Nothing in between except fiber and electrical to optical conversion.

What test equipment is recommended to measure Bit Error Rate from Ethernet port on one end to Ethernet Port on the other end? Im used to using paired PRBS generator/receiver gear to measure BER on serial links (such as Fireberd 6000a), but how is this done on a packet based link? Is there other equipment that might provide BER or other measurements of link quality for this point to point link?

Any thoughts appreciated.

See More: Test Equipment for BER Measurement

Report •

January 28, 2009 at 07:40:44
I have two testers here at work capable of testing both Copper and Fibre.

The one is made by Agilent (Wirescope) and the other is made by Test-Um (Validator)

Either one will perform a BERT test. The Validator is newer, faster and less expensive than our Agilent Wirescope.

Report •

January 28, 2009 at 08:12:22
Excellent input. thank you!

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question