Running 3 computers off one ethernet jack

September 1, 2010 at 07:55:58
Specs: Windows XP and Mac OS

I work at a University, and they have only activated one ethernet jack (and thus only one IP address) for the office of 3 students, which means only one student has internet at a time. Behind the ethernet jack I'm pretty sure is a firewalled router. Can I hook up an ethernet switch to the one ethernet jack and then hook the 3 computers up to the switch so that they will have internet simultaneously? Will the switch provide the computers with dynamic private IPs so it will look to the router as if all the traffic is coming from one computer?


See More: Running 3 computers off one ethernet jack

Report •

September 1, 2010 at 08:09:12

You would need a router not a switch to provide ips.
You can try a switch to see if the router provides additional ip addresses.

Report •

September 1, 2010 at 09:13:45

I've tried two different routers, one wireless one regular. Spent half a day trying to get them to work but no luck. I think the firewall is blocking access to an unknown device perhaps. That's why I was wondering if a switch would work, but maybe the firewall would block that too. What about something more passive like a hub or a splitter? I would be willing to sacrifice a bit of performance - if we could just get everyone in the office on the internet it would be a big improvement!

Report •

September 1, 2010 at 14:03:03

Only a router would provide the addresses for simultaneous use. Check with the University's IT department. They may be blocking additional access.

Report •

Related Solutions

September 1, 2010 at 14:42:52

Seems strange a router did not work for you. Did you make sure the lan subnet was different from the wan subnet? If you did not change the lan ip or compare it to the wan ip this was your problem.

a switch doesn't broadcast anything so try it. It will all depend if the IT dept is letting extra ips get allocated to you. If not then only one device will get on no matter what

Report •

Ask Question