router to switch to pc's?

April 5, 2009 at 19:14:33
Specs: Windows XP
I receive internet thru cable into a modem into a wireless router (all in the main house) then through little blue wire that connects into the back of my computer in the building where I live/work. I cannot run a new wire from the house. I now work with 2 computers. If I buy a "switch" can I unplug the wire from my computer into the switch and then plug the 2 computers into the switch and then be able to hit the internet and network the two computers together? Or will I need a crossover cable in place of the one already running between buildings. Did I say I cannot run a new wire?

See More: router to switch to pcs?

Report •

April 5, 2009 at 22:43:58
thanks jgalty, I set the router up but have no idea of its settings either - all default. I bought the cable that runs between buildings so I know its a patch. Your reply gives me more confidence about the design correctness?. But I'm still wondering if the cable between the router and the switch should be a crossover or patch. I hope patch.

Report •

April 6, 2009 at 02:20:11
That is right, i doubt you will even need to configure anything on the router.

To network to 2 pcs run the network setup wizard on both pcs basically.

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question