|I am guessing they have router set to IP 192.168.1.1, and that is the IP address of my server that runs my proprietary software. It is a bowling center, the back office client is the one experiencing problems. Anything I need to send out to the server (all my standalone applications basically) hangs up and refuses to load. There is a back office client where we do our league work and price changes, etc. and send them out to the front desk, which is the server. The server runs the lanes via an ETHost. There are also terminals at the bar and snack bar transmitting sales data to the back office (which it cannot do right now because of whatever Verizon did) so I have them changed over to local registers off the network until I get straightened out.|
I disabled their network connection which had the static IP for the DSL service but I am still having difficulties with everything that is an application. The rest of the desktop functions normally. I have checked the hardware, done diagnostics on all, to no avail.