|FIXED: I don't know if this is a common problem, but it was my problem. |
In the Iomega Control Page, I manually set the Network Address Configuration to match what was in my router. After keying in the IP address I noticed it was wrong. The IP address was static in the router (192.168.1.122). In the Network Address Config it was 192.168.1.221, so I changed it back and hit apply. When I hit apply, it changed back to 221. I tried to change it to 122 three or four more times and each time I hit apply, it went back to 221. So I changed the static IP address in the router to 221 along with the port forwarding and it works perfectly.
I set the Network Address Configuration back to automatic. I even have the router SPI firewall and filtering anonymous internet requests enabled. It all works.
The only quicky part is under the Iomega control panel home page/remote access tab - remote access is set to disable. I am afraid to touch it since it is working as it is.
My advice is to switch to manual Network Address Configuration to see what IP address Iomega likes. Try to change it, if it changes it back to something else, make that something else your static IP address in your router. Don't forget to change your port forwarding as well. I know it sounds goofy, it worked for me and its all I got.