installing 2 network cards on 1 pc

August 29, 2006 at 02:51:21
Specs: winxp pro, 512
here my setup:
internet~>cablemodem~>Router~> (nic.1)-PC.A-(nic.2)~>HUB~>PC.B

pc.a has 2 network cards install one onboard(nic.1) and one pci(nic.2)
nic.1=linked to router and is used for internet access
nic.2=linked to hub so that pc.b and soon to come pc.c can share files with it..

for some weird reason i got it to work somehow where pc.a has both network cards enabled with internet access and pc.b able to access pc.a's files after rebooting pc.a it stoped working and the only way to have internet access on pc.a is to disable nic.2 my guess its one of the settings in the ip configuration on both network cards..

*i could easily just link up pc.b to the router but the router is located on the fourth floor of the building and ive have managed to just get one lan cable to go all the way down for pc.a and have no plans in setting up another lan cable. so im sticking with the hub option.

here are some other detials:

router :

pc.a nic.1=connected to router and have internet access running thru
ip address :
subnet :
dns server: ? dont know what to put

pc.a nic.2=connected to the hub so that pc.b and soon to come pc.c can access pc.a files
gateway: ?dont know wat to put
dns server : ?dont know wat to put

pc.b = connectd to hub
subnet :
gateway :
dns server :

See More: installing 2 network cards on 1 pc

Report •

August 29, 2006 at 08:18:21
Why make it diffucut on yourself? Using the single run from the router down to your floor connect it to the hub. Then connect all your PCs to the hub. Of course a low cost switch would be a better option, but a hub will work too.

Then all PCs will have internet access w/o computer A having to be on.

Internet~> cablemodem~> Router~> Hub ~> All PCs

Michael J

Report •

August 29, 2006 at 09:39:56
router to hub cable needs to be a crossover cable.

Give a person a fish, they eat for a day. Suggest they internet search and they learn a skill for a lifetime.

Report •

August 29, 2006 at 13:43:22

Good catch, I didn't think of that. However, the hub may have an uplink port. Even if it doesn't I think it would be a lot less work to either a) get a switch/hub with an uplink port or to b) rewire that end of the cable to be a cross-over cable.

Michael J

Report •

Related Solutions

August 29, 2006 at 13:44:42
You can get an inexpensive crossover adaptor that will save you running a new cable if the current one is patch.

I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.

Report •

August 29, 2006 at 14:50:05
Or, if you have the materials, you can make your own. I did recently for our tester and I use it to test crossovers (crossover + crossover = straight through). Anyhow, a short length of Cat5e with an RJ-45 plug on one end and an RJ-45 Keystone on the other wired with A on one end and B on the other.

Report •

Ask Question