|Assuming you have a SOHO Router between the internet and your home network (LAN) and you're going to connect with Remote Desktop you would:|
1) enable remote access on the PC you use to monitor your CCTV cameras
2) get the LAN IP of that same computer in step 1
3) create a port forward on the router that would send incoming traffic on the RDC port (3389) to the IP of that PC. It would look somehing like the following:
forward port 3389 to 192.168.xxx.xxx
4) you would need to know the external IP of your internet connection. This can be found from a computer within your LAN by googling "what's my ip" and going to their website to find out your external IP
5) you would run RDC on the remote PC, enter the external IP of your internet connection at home and connect. The port forward would automatically send it to the monitoring PC. You would login to the monitoring PC and then you could run the monitoring software.
It matters not how straight the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.