File copying problems

Microsoft Windows server 2003 enterprise
December 10, 2009 at 20:15:07
Specs: Server 2003
Scenario is as follows:

Rebuilt my server with (I believe) the same configuration as my old server. I'm running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 32 bit and am having major issues with file transfers/copying. When copying a larger file from my PC which is on the domain(a 3GB for example) the copying process freezes up roughly 3/4 of the way and I get a "network path no longer exists or not available" message. This is by using Windows explorer, robocopy, xcopy, you name it. I should also mention that this completely locks up the server as well.

The really strange thing I discovered after about 3 or 4 rebuilds and a lot of swearing is that this problem does not exist until I define my server role. I was able to copy 32GB of data with no problem after a fresh install with no roles defined. As soon as I set up the Domain Controller/DNS server role the file copying problem surfaced. File copying from folder to folder on the same drive on the server is ridiculously slow too, although it is ultimately successful. What really has me confused is file transfer from server to client (my PC) works like a champ with no problems.

I've turned off SMB signing, increased page file size but the problem still persists. Please, please help me.

See More: File copying problems

Report •

December 11, 2009 at 07:08:41
Is one of the roles you setup "File Server"? If so then I think that the Wizard automatically sets up a Disk Quota of like 2 GB per user. It should not apply to the Administrator though. Did you setup your user account as an administrator?

I could be wrong about this because it has been so long since I setup my own servers. I will have to check it out on my test box. For now I would double check your Disk Quotas on your shares.

P.S. I just realized that this would not explain the error your getting. You would get a Disk Space error not a Connection error and your server would not freez.

Report •

December 11, 2009 at 20:14:08
Yeah it almost sounds like a disk quota issue, but I don't have disk quotas in place yet. And yes, the account I was doing the copying from is a domain admin/admin account.

I tested it out again this evening, wiped out existing server installation and installed fresh. Without defining any server roles (only opening up connections to the server) copying of files was fast and worked to completion with no lockups. As soon as I assigned the server the Active Directory Domain Controller/DNS server/DHCP server roles the problem resurfaces.

I really don't see how this is could be a hardware problem as my hardware has not changed and everything works fine up until assigning roles. It's almost like there's a bottleneck somewhere and then connection is lost and server completely locks up for a good minute or two. This is very frustrating, not sure what direction to take next.

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question