Connecting two ethernet cables

June 15, 2005 at 05:46:57
Specs: windows xp, 512mb


I have two ethernet (CAT5 UTP/Straight-Through) cables and I just need to connect them together (to make one big long cable), what should I use?

I'm thinking this:

But I though I'd better ask first.

See More: Connecting two ethernet cables

Report •

June 15, 2005 at 06:01:05

No, it's not a BNC plug. You need a connector that accepts RJ-45 plugs. You need something like this:

Report •

June 15, 2005 at 06:18:23

Also make sure you do not exceed the recommended maximum length of the combined CAT5e. Offhead I don't remember what it is. Google for it.


Report •

June 15, 2005 at 07:23:31

100 metres max length between nodes using Cat5.

However, that will be reduced using an in-line connector as it will introduce attenuation and increase the signal to noise ratio.

Depending on the lengths involved it would probably be just a cheap to buy an new length of cable if they are short. If they are long, bear in mind the above.

Personally I would never use an in-line connector except as a temporary fix for trouble shooting purposes.


Report •

Related Solutions

June 15, 2005 at 12:22:55

Consider just getting a section cut-to-length from Home Depot. Go to their electrical department. They have a section stocked with RJ-45 ends, crimpers, face-plates, and boxes of cable. You can also go towards the end of the isle where they will cut you a section to length.

The most expensive part will be the crimpers...but, if your job/hobby involves messing with your network at all, from time to time, a pair of crimpers comes in handy for occasions such as you can make a quick patch cable....a little 4" uplink cable, or a quick repair when a cable end needs to be replaced.

If you really wanna go cheap...a small flat-head screw driver can be used to "crimp" the ends - but that's really tedious.

Report •

Ask Question