|I found this link while trying to get my new 1.5TB drive hooked up to my router, and accessible to my PC. I had problems similar to below, but all is working ok now.|
I have a Belkin n-router with a USB port for plugging in a USB drive. I did this:
1. Plugged USB drive into router (belkin router now shows USB connected.
2. Installed Belkin storage manager on my PC, and tried to find the USB drive.
3. Searched through the router admin tool to try and find anything related to the USB drive (nothing there).
There was no drive automatically mapped as the documentation seemed to indicate, and when I tried to access \\192.168.2.1\, I got a listing for 'Expansion Drive', but was not able to access it. (general permissions or drive not working error message).
1. Temporarily plugged the USB drive directly into my PC.
2. Did some quick testing (make folder), then right clicked to rename the drive (to mydrive1 instead of 'Expansion Drive')
3. Took the USB off my PC and plugged it back into the router.
4. now, if I specify 192.168.2.1 in the file explorer, mydrive1 shows up, and I can see files on this drive normally.
5. Just for kicks, I right clicked on mydrive1 and mapped it to 'O'. It mapped fine, and I can see this 'O' drive from file explorer.
Hopefully this helps, I was a little frustrated looking at the 'did you read the instructions' comments that were not addressing the drive mapping question at all.