Articles

BANDWIDTH: Upload Vs Download

September 4, 2008 at 20:47:07
Specs: Sig, Sig

Hey guys,

I know internet companies will advertise
their bandwidth as 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up
but what I don't understand is, why if you
are ONLY uploading (say your whole 1Mbps up
is being used) that everything else slows
down?

So far I am thinking of it like this but I
need someone knowledgeable to tell me if this
is correct or not:

I am imagining a pipe, and through the pipe
you can only fit 10Mbps down or 1Mbps up and
one is using it all then the other will slow
down? Is that correct?

For example I cannot get 10Mbps down totally
WHILE getting 1Mbps up totally, or am I wrong
on this?

Only reason I am asking is that when I am
uploading a file and trying to browse the
internet it goes so slow x_X

500W PS
Radeon HD X2600
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
2gb Ballistix 4-4-4-12 DDR2


See More: BANDWIDTH: Upload Vs Download

Report •


#1
September 5, 2008 at 06:53:52

Every download, and even only surfing a website is a download, does also need upload bandwidth.
This upload bandwidth is used for checking whether everything is transmitted correctly or not, whether you have permission to access the site, whether the source is reachable aso. It's just called overhead.

So if all the upload bandwidth is used, there is nothing left for your download and you have to wait until there is free bandwidth.


Report •

#2
September 5, 2008 at 14:31:16

One thing I noticed today that is still
confusing me:

Sometimes when uploading using a torrent
program I will be uploading at my peek limit
(a little over 100kB/s for example) but yet I
can still download over 600-700kB/s at times.
This would nullify the rule that if my upload
is all being used up theres no room for
download wouldnt it?

500W PS
Radeon HD X2600
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
2gb Ballistix 4-4-4-12 DDR2


Report •

#3
September 5, 2008 at 15:36:05

The peek is an average, it's not a realtime value.

Report •

Related Solutions

#4
September 5, 2008 at 18:36:19

I understand but if my upload IS being used
at its peak (which I have experienced many
times) I am still able to download at least
half my download, which would mean that
upload and download are not interdependent.

500W PS
Radeon HD X2600
Gigabyte P35-DS3L
2gb Ballistix 4-4-4-12 DDR2


Report •

#5
September 5, 2008 at 19:32:37

If you upload something it uses 100 percent upload bandwidth.

Then when you start a download job, the upload job may use e.g. 70 percent and the download uses the rest, 30 percent.

So you can see, you alway have 100 percent upload bandwidth in use.

You have to look at the upload speed, when you start a download job.
The upload speed should decrease.


Report •


Ask Question