1 computer won't connect to router

September 18, 2006 at 08:58:34
Specs: windows xp, intel

I recently replaced my router and now one of my computers is not able to connect to the router/internet. I have a WAP and two computers hardwired to the router and everything works fine except for one of the hardwired computers. I removed the cat 5 cable that connects the problem computer to the router and I connected that directly to the dsl modem and it worked fine so the cable seems to be function properly. As soon as I removed it from the modem and put it back on the router it stopped working. Since the router is a good distance from the problem computer I moved the computer closer to the router and connected it directly to the router with a different cable and it worked fine. Any thoughts? I am not very familiar with cat 5 cables and how they should be wired, but it almost appears that this new router is not working with the wiring that I was using with the old router.

See More: 1 computer wont connect to router

Report •

September 18, 2006 at 13:46:43

When you connected the Computer to the Router with a different cable, did you also connect to a different port on the back of the router? If so then you possibly have a bad port on the router if not you may want to get a new cable it sounds like.

Good Luck --

Report •

September 18, 2006 at 13:52:26

Sounds to me like the cat5 cable is a crossover rather than patch. or vice-versa. Some routers can auto-sense the connection and adjust themselves to suit but they need to be power reset in order to reconfigure the ports.

Read your router manual/specs. Does it have self-adjusting ports?

I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.

Report •

September 18, 2006 at 14:00:55

I do not think that this has self adjusting ports (I don't see anything in the documentation about it-it is a gigafast 4 port router EE400-R). I can relatively easily see the both ends of the cable (the jacks) that connect the computer to the router. I think it must be wired incorrectly and it is configured to be a cross-over cable. I am not familiar enough with the layout of these wires to spot this in the wiring. What should I be looking for? I would just replace this cable but it was "professionaly" installed through about 75' of walls/floors and I would rather just correct the wiring if it is not working with the new router.
Thanks, JT.

Report •

Related Solutions

September 18, 2006 at 14:26:14

You can get a crossover adaptor that will eliminate the need to either run a new cable or re-wire the existing one.

I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.

Report •

September 18, 2006 at 14:49:18

If you're really interested:


gives you the correct pairing for a CAT5e cable. My guess though is that your cable really is defective because once you switched to another, shorter cable your client could connect. Probably corrosion in a connector.

A new straight-thru cable will set you back ~$15 or you can clean the connectors with baking soda and vinegar, see if that works. Also check the wire pairs to make sure they're inserted correctly and snug. Could be a cut in the middle of the cable though which requires a cable tester to find. I'd just go with the new cable.

Report •

September 18, 2006 at 14:50:46

You use a patch cable from a computer to a router. Many nic's and routers can auto configure for either a patch or crossover.

If you have a crossover and it doesn't work with the new router I'd more suspect some config error but try a patch cable first.

Report •

September 19, 2006 at 07:02:14

your cat5 cable should work upto 100 meters from the router! If you hold the RJ45 with the clip facing away from you, you can see if it's a cross-over or straight-thru. Far left being pin 1, and far right being pin 8! see if pin 1 on one end is the same as pin 1 on the other. If it is then it's a straight-thru if pin 1 is the same as pin 3 on the other then it's a cross-over.

Report •

Ask Question