Articles

Unlimited Free IM - Pinger: iPhone'

February 4, 2009 at 04:54:04
Specs: iPhone OS

Cut the cost of an iPhone and use it even more for IM.
http://www.pinger.com/content/home....

Pinger is a new way to avoid the cellular text messaging fees while
using the iPhone.

Pinger: iPhone's Communication Center
http://pinger.helpserve.com/

The iPhone application called Pinger brings multiple communication
streams -- phone calls, instant messages, and Twitter, MySpace and
Facebook messages -- all into a single application.

Is Pinger Phone Free?

Pinger Phone is free to download and free to use!
There's even a way to send IM messages as texts for free. Pinger
makes money via advertising. However, when you use Pinger Phone to
launch the iPhone's native calling and texting functions, your normal
calling and texting charges will apply. This can be a little tricky,
so let's look at some examples of what is and isn't free.

iPhone Users

FREE

SEND
Using the IM-to-mobile chat function to send a text message to a
contact's mobile number. You do this by touching the IM button on
anyone in your contacts with a mobile number or who has the little
phone icon next to their name. This doesn't cost you anything because
we send your message over your WIFI or unlimited adata plan. (Note:
recipients will incur normal charges for the text message.)

RECEIVE
Receiving a reply from someone who you've sent a text via Pinger Phone


Possible Costs

"Notify via text msg" is on by default and will send a notification to
your registered mobile phone when you have a message and you will
incur costs from your carrier. If you don't want to be charged, you
can turn "Notify via text msg" off in "Accounts".

Sending a text message via the "text" menu option in the Pinger Menu
or Contacts screen. This function simply pre-addresses and loads the
standard iPhone Text app. NORMAL TEXT RATES WILL APPLY in this case.


WHERE DOES PINGER WORK

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada Czech Republic
Denmark
El Salvador
Estonia
Finland
France Germany
Greece
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Latvia Lithuania
Luxembourg
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Romania Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
UK
USA

Video Media file on Pinger
wirelessway_010609.m4v (QuickTime Movie, 62.4 MB)
http://www.businessweek.com/mediace...

Eventually coming to a CrackBerry someday.

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


See More: Unlimited Free IM - Pinger: iPhone

Report •


#1
February 4, 2009 at 05:54:04

On 2009-02-04, Mikko <mm65251@kielo.EiSikaNauta.fi> wrote:
> I think that Pinger is an another app, which makes you realize that lack of
> multitasking is pretty annoying. For xmple: you ar having nice chat in pinger
> and you wan't to check something from web...

That's ones of the things the Push stuff would fix,
if it ever turns up!

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#2
February 4, 2009 at 06:54:04

On 2009-02-04, An Apple A Day Keeps The BlackBerries Away! <vic.healey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cut the cost of an iPhone and use it even more for IM.
> http://www.pinger.com/content/home....
>
> Pinger is a new way to avoid the cellular text messaging fees while
> using the iPhone.

I think that Pinger is an another app, which makes you realize that lack of
multitasking is pretty annoying. For xmple: you ar having nice chat in pinger
and you wan't to check something from web...

-Mikko

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#3
February 4, 2009 at 07:54:04

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 04:54:04 -0800 (PST), "An Apple A Day Keeps The
BlackBerries Away!" <vic.healey@gmail.com> wrote:

>Cut the cost of an iPhone and use it even more for IM.
>http://www.pinger.com/content/home.html
>
>Pinger is a new way to avoid the cellular text messaging fees while
>using the iPhone.

Sorry, this is completely lame-o as it, like the rest of the iFONE
apps can't run in the background unless it is "jailbroken". IM apps
need to be able to be thrown in the background to be anything but a
complete joke.

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
February 4, 2009 at 08:54:04

Mikko <mm65251@kielo.EiSikaNauta.fi> wrote in
news:slrngojdpp.j8j.mm65251@kielo.uta.fi:

> On 2009-02-04, An Apple A Day Keeps The BlackBerries Away!
> <vic.healey@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Cut the cost of an iPhone and use it even more for IM.
>> http://www.pinger.com/content/home....
>>
>> Pinger is a new way to avoid the cellular text messaging fees while
>> using the iPhone.
>
> I think that Pinger is an another app, which makes you realize that
> lack of multitasking is pretty annoying. For xmple: you ar having nice
> chat in pinger and you wan't to check something from web...
>
> -Mikko
>

I can't imagine NOT being able to continue talking on Skype to who I'm
talking to while simply clicking the URL he just sent me on Skype's text
window to get it to boot up the Mozilla browser for a look see and comments
with both of us looking at the interesting webpage....just like on the big
box at home.

I couldn't imagine NOT being able to do that on Gizmo over AIM or Google
Talk or one of the dozens of other comms Gizmo supports while checking out
that webpage, either.

Geez, that's just like going back to TRSDOS on a Radio Shack Model
1....except it has more memory....and no tape drive.

Larry
Nokia N800 Maemo Diablo OS2008....

Thank you, Finland!....(c;]

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#5
February 4, 2009 at 09:54:04

Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote in
news:slrngoje96.e72.jon+usenet@snowy.squish.net:

> On 2009-02-04, Mikko <mm65251@kielo.EiSikaNauta.fi> wrote:
>> I think that Pinger is an another app, which makes you realize that
>> lack of multitasking is pretty annoying. For xmple: you ar having
>> nice chat in pinger and you wan't to check something from web...
>
> That's ones of the things the Push stuff would fix,
> if it ever turns up!
>

How is push going to let us continue to chat on Google Talk while it
browses to www.cnn.com, simultaneously.....without interrupting our chat
connection, Jon??

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#6
February 4, 2009 at 10:54:04

On 2009-02-05, Larry <noone@home.com> wrote:
> Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote in
> news:slrngoje96.e72.jon+usenet@snowy.squish.net:
>> On 2009-02-04, Mikko <mm65251@kielo.EiSikaNauta.fi> wrote:
>>> I think that Pinger is an another app, which makes you realize that
>>> lack of multitasking is pretty annoying. For xmple: you ar having
>>> nice chat in pinger and you wan't to check something from web...
>>
>> That's ones of the things the Push stuff would fix,
>> if it ever turns up!
>
> How is push going to let us continue to chat on Google Talk while it
> browses to www.cnn.com, simultaneously.....without interrupting our chat
> connection, Jon??

If you mean text chat, then it would do it by routing your login via a
proxy that stays logged in even when the app isn't running, and pushes
your incoming messages to you when you're ready to read them. If you
mean voice chat, then you're correct it doesn't.

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#7
February 4, 2009 at 11:54:04

Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet@unequivocal.co.uk> wrote in
news:slrngolu18.k3e.jon+usenet@snowy.squish.net:

> If you mean text chat, then it would do it by routing your login via a
> proxy that stays logged in even when the app isn't running, and pushes
> your incoming messages to you when you're ready to read them. If you
> mean voice chat, then you're correct it doesn't.
>
>

I mean using Google Talk as a video phone, simultaneously. I like to see
who I'm chatting with waving their hands around in emphasis, especially
Europeans...(c;]

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •


Ask Question