Corrupt text messages - why?

September 2, 2008 at 15:09:08
Specs: iPhone OS

One friend often sends texts like this to me:-
http://tinyurl.com/6ozlaf
...why?.....any thoughts?
Thanks.

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


See More: Corrupt text messages - why?

Report •


#1
September 2, 2008 at 16:09:08


"John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in message
news:g9k39h$dpn$1@aioe.org...

> Thanks Larry...so you think his mobile phone is ***ed?
> For info...his display is ok as he sends it
> Unsure if he has fried it or dropped it or how to view if the moisture
> sensor has turned black?

I think the problem is your end, not his. Your phone is mangling the
display of the text. Whether that's because the phone itself is going bad,
your mobile operator is garbling the message on the way to you, or because
your friend is sending the message in a format (MMS?) that your phone can't
properly display, I can't tell you for sure...


A bigger question, IMO, is why you're posting this in an Apple iPhone
newsgroup? The picture you showed us was clearly of your Nokia...


archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#2
September 2, 2008 at 17:09:08

"John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in news:g9jhe8$mrj$2@aioe.org:

> http://tinyurl.com/6ozlaf

You need a cypher decoder like Bletchley Park used:

http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm

Use this huge list and start creating complex messages that are only coded
acronyms to send back to him. He'll soon get the message.

Send him screens full of random number groups

39283 28588 04012 83720 77293 56272
MI5

This has two effects, one on him and the other on the government snooping
at your messages with some computer program.

Too bad it only supports the first 128 characters or we could send him
pieces of compiled machine code....(c;

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#3
September 2, 2008 at 18:09:08


"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9B0D849795731noonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
> "John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in
> news:g9jhe8$mrj$2@aioe.org:
>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6ozlaf
>
> You need a cypher decoder like Bletchley Park used:
>
> http://www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm
>
> Use this huge list and start creating complex messages that are only coded
> acronyms to send back to him. He'll soon get the message.
>
> Send him screens full of random number groups
>
> 39283 28588 04012 83720 77293 56272
> MI5
>
> This has two effects, one on him and the other on the government snooping
> at your messages with some computer program.
>
> Too bad it only supports the first 128 characters or we could send him
> pieces of compiled machine code....(c;
====================
Thanks for your suggestion...however can you expand a little Larry..eg how
its possible to display text ontop of text
as per the piccy?


archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
September 2, 2008 at 19:09:08

"John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in
news:g9jspt$hd1$1@aioe.org:

> Thanks for your suggestion...however can you expand a little Larry..eg
> how
> its possible to display text ontop of text
> as per the piccy?
>
>

Bad display driver.....replace phone.

The display, itself, makes contact with the driver PC board via a round
conductive rubber ring around the display. There are hundreds of
conductive rubber layers insulated from each other across the round part.
One side of the rubber lays against the PC board edge contact. The other
against the barely visable contacts embedded into the glass of the LCD
display.

If this rubber "gasket" gets deformed, even a tiny bit, the wrong PC board
contact connects to the wrong LCD display contact as they are very close
together. Leaving it sitting on a hot seat in the sun inside a locked up
car is a good way to trash it. The display will do as yours does or may
have gaps in the scanned pixel display from missing contacts.

Opening the display and removing the LCD glass panel, then inspecting this
rubber gasket for misalignment can correct the problem.

It's not for the non-technical or faint-of-heart. Users keep insisting on
making it smaller and flatter and exascerbates the repair effort.

As at the top, you may also have a bad display driver IC, the electronics
that turns image data into a scanned system of high voltage and grounds to
drive the fancy display....How far was that last drop test?

Has the moisture sensor turned black?

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#5
September 2, 2008 at 20:09:08


"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9B0D9721816FEnoonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
> "John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in
> news:g9jspt$hd1$1@aioe.org:
>
>> Thanks for your suggestion...however can you expand a little Larry..eg
>> how
>> its possible to display text ontop of text
>> as per the piccy?
>>
>>
>
> Bad display driver.....replace phone.
>
> The display, itself, makes contact with the driver PC board via a round
> conductive rubber ring around the display. There are hundreds of
> conductive rubber layers insulated from each other across the round part.
> One side of the rubber lays against the PC board edge contact. The other
> against the barely visable contacts embedded into the glass of the LCD
> display.
>
> If this rubber "gasket" gets deformed, even a tiny bit, the wrong PC board
> contact connects to the wrong LCD display contact as they are very close
> together. Leaving it sitting on a hot seat in the sun inside a locked up
> car is a good way to trash it. The display will do as yours does or may
> have gaps in the scanned pixel display from missing contacts.
>
> Opening the display and removing the LCD glass panel, then inspecting this
> rubber gasket for misalignment can correct the problem.
>
> It's not for the non-technical or faint-of-heart. Users keep insisting on
> making it smaller and flatter and exascerbates the repair effort.
>
> As at the top, you may also have a bad display driver IC, the electronics
> that turns image data into a scanned system of high voltage and grounds to
> drive the fancy display....How far was that last drop test?
>
> Has the moisture sensor turned black?
==================================
Thanks Larry...so you think his mobile phone is ***ed?
For info...his display is ok as he sends it
Unsure if he has fried it or dropped it or how to view if the moisture
sensor has turned black?


archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#6
September 2, 2008 at 21:09:08

"John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in news:g9k39h$dpn$1@aioe.org:

> Thanks Larry...so you think his mobile phone is ***ed?
> For info...his display is ok as he sends it
> Unsure if he has fried it or dropped it or how to view if the moisture
> sensor has turned black?
>
>

Fones like this one are so cheap you can hardly afford to fix one.

Ask around. Someone you know has 3 phones that will replace it going dead
in a drawer near the pub...(c;

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#7
September 2, 2008 at 22:09:08


"Todd Allcock" <elecconnec@AmericaOnLine.com> wrote in message
news:g9kclg$k59$1@aioe.org...
>
> "John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:g9k39h$dpn$1@aioe.org...
>
>> Thanks Larry...so you think his mobile phone is ***ed?
>> For info...his display is ok as he sends it
>> Unsure if he has fried it or dropped it or how to view if the moisture
>> sensor has turned black?
>
> I think the problem is your end, not his. Your phone is mangling the
> display of the text. Whether that's because the phone itself is going
> bad, your mobile operator is garbling the message on the way to you, or
> because your friend is sending the message in a format (MMS?) that your
> phone can't properly display, I can't tell you for sure...

Reason I thought the prob was at his end because he has since sent the same
message to friend B with the same garbled result ..mind you your last
suggestion above could still be a possibility as B's phone is the same cheap
Nokia model and o2 provider as mine.

> A bigger question, IMO, is why you're posting this in an Apple iPhone
> newsgroup? The picture you showed us was clearly of your Nokia...

Hadn't noticed the i.


archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#8
September 2, 2008 at 23:09:08

"John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in news:g9l9it$m6u$1@aioe.org:

> Hadn't noticed the i.
>
>

.....along with just millions of other sellphone users....(c;

archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#9
September 3, 2008 at 00:09:08


"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9B0DDC3BA9A1Enoonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
> "John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in
> news:g9k39h$dpn$1@aioe.org:
>
>> Thanks Larry...so you think his mobile phone is ***ed?
>> For info...his display is ok as he sends it
>> Unsure if he has fried it or dropped it or how to view if the moisture
>> sensor has turned black?
>>
>>
>
> Fones like this one are so cheap you can hardly afford to fix one.
>
> Ask around. Someone you know has 3 phones that will replace it going dead
> in a drawer near the pub...(c;
==================
My phone is aged but in A1 working order...his phone is a relatively modern
job..Motorola_RAZR_V3..as no further trying to find the cause of the corrupt
text messages bit premature to scrap one or both!


archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •

#10
September 3, 2008 at 01:09:08


"John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in message
news:g9mnrn$kpp$1@aioe.org...
>
> "Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9B0DDC3BA9A1Enoonehomecom@208.49.80.253...
>> "John Brown" <John@nospamthanks.co.uk> wrote in
>> news:g9k39h$dpn$1@aioe.org:
>>
>>> Thanks Larry...so you think his mobile phone is ***ed?
>>> For info...his display is ok as he sends it
>>> Unsure if he has fried it or dropped it or how to view if the moisture
>>> sensor has turned black?
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Fones like this one are so cheap you can hardly afford to fix one.
>>
>> Ask around. Someone you know has 3 phones that will replace it going
>> dead
>> in a drawer near the pub...(c;
> ==================
> My phone is aged but in A1 working order...his phone is a relatively
> modern job..Motorola_RAZR_V3..as no further trying to find the cause of
> the corrupt text messages bit premature to scrap one or both!
==========
Think we have discovered the cause of the gobbledygook text...seems friend
had been using predictive text and clicking the star button on his
Motorola..pressing it down to start a new line..result = mixed up text!


archived from misc.phone.mobile.iphone


Report •


Ask Question