Why no power to our computer towers

June 18, 2011 at 13:07:09
Specs: Windows XP, Pentium 4 gig
My computer shut down via the surge protector when we had a storm and lost our house power this morning. I heard the beeps and saw it shutting down slowly.
When we regained power, the tower appears to have no power. The other 3 items plugged into the surge protectort have power. I have swapped the power cord to the CPU and also the positions of the cords so the outlet works but still no power. Any ideas how to get power back to my tower. All of the spots for plugs appear to be working.

See More: Why no power to our computer towers

Report •

June 18, 2011 at 16:51:02
In a power outage, usually unplugging and re-plugging the power cord to the CPU resets the power supply. But you have done this in swapping power cords.
Try plugging the tower directly into the wall outlet for test purposes. The power strip could be partially bad if the supressor has done it's job. If the computer works, toss the power strip and get a new one. The circuit protection is gone.
If that doesn't work, possibilities include power supply failure and/or mainboard failure. Lightning almost always comes in through the ground wire. Very seldom does it come in through the "power" supply line. Most inexpensive surge protectors don't protect the ground circuit, or protect it marginally.
Either check the power supply with a tester, or have it checked. If it is good, then chances are it's the mainboard that is now bad.

Report •

June 19, 2011 at 10:08:15
> The power strip could be partially bad if the supressor has done it's job.

Power strips that are grossly undersized fail. Protection already inside electronics is often more robust. A transient too tiny to harm an appliance can destroy the grossly undersized protector. Then the naive to recommend that protector and buy more.

Grossly undersized protectors fail by disconnecting the protector parts as fast as possible. Leaves the appliance connected to that transient. Otherwise, the grossly undersized power strip could create a house fire. Another rare but too common problem with grossly undersized power strip protectors ... that fail during any surge.

Any protector that fails did no protection … other than to disconnect so fast as to not cause a house fire. Informed consumers properly earth one protector (for about $1 per protected appliance) so that even direct lightning strikes damage no appliances or the protector. Properly sized protectors are not profit centers that fail to promote sales.

All computers contain internal protection features. One protective 'lockout' is cleared by disconnecting its power cord for two seconds. That lockout feature is sometimes triggered when power restoration occurs too slowly or in low voltage bursts.

Report •

Related Solutions

Ask Question