I have read all my answers I could get my hands on this problem, and some of the other guys problems were identical to mine, bu unfortunately not answered or the guys did not replied when asked for more info.
So I will provide every bit of info I can, and I hope you can help me.
First of all I kind of gave up on it and I know I will have to buy something from the above - something is obviously deffect - what I hope is that is just one component and not all three and I hope it is not the CPU or the mobo.
I have an Asus P5K-V mobo and an E2160 processor.I have overclocked them to "safe" speeds (3 GHz), but I was still aware that even so, one day mu CPU will die - I want to find out if that day has come for it.
This computer functioned for around two years.In two years the CPU failed a few times (blue screen and restart because of too few power feed to it) and throttled once (the fan somehow unattached and the CPU run into throttle for around 3 weeks before I realised the temperatures were a bit too high, 80 degress, instead of 50 as usual).
So I got used to the restarts cause by the CPU.But this time is different - no restart, and this got me worried.
And here is how it happened - one day I was playing a game on my newly bought videocard (I also have an integrated videocard on the mobo), and the image on screen simply "froze" - no keyboard input, no nothing.And I waited - one minute later the game recovered by itself and continued playing.One hour later, the image froze again, but this time did not recover again, so I restarted.Then it started to happen at random in 2-3 days, once or twice per day, never recovering.Then, it started to happen even more frequent, 3-4 times per day, then it also froze the screen when the windows was loading or very shortly after the windows has loaded.
Then it simply froze up the screen right when the BIOS image loaded, so I couldn't even get into BIOS anymore (I was still able to enter BIOS at random, one in three restarts - this time from the power supply as it wasn't responsive anymore to the restart button).
Then it simply hanged on each time I restarted - all the fans are spinning, the green light of the mobo is on and all seems to work as usually, except one thing - the monitor will stay shut (not only there is no image on screen, but the monitor is not receiving signal from any of my two videocards and it remains in stand by).
Then I started to find the problem eliminating the components one by one, as follows :
- I got out the new PCI express videocard and used the integrated videocard - nothing changes
- I got out three of my 4 HDD's and I kept only the IDE HDD on - the PC is making the POST beep as normal, but still nothing on screen - the screen is blank, but the monitor is receiving signal this time and is on altough not displaying anything
note : the monitor is receiving signal only when used on the PCI express card and not on the integrated card
- I checked all my HDD's on another computer and are all ok
- I unmounted the CPU fan and the fan and I bought a new CPU fan and thermal paste - no change
note : now I discovered a fact that also made me suspect my mobo - one of the pins on the connection socket is missing and I am absolutely sure it is not because I unseated the processor, so there are two options to it :
- the pin was missing since I bought the mobo and the PC somehow functioned without it - it is even possible?
- the pin somehow got burned and melted away because of the temperature
Anyway, I know for sure that when I unseated the CPU there was a tiny hole there amongst the pins and I am not the one that produced it (at least not when I unseated the CPU).
- then I left the PC sit for a wole day
- now I have reconnected all the components (videocard, RAM sticks and HDD's) and the PC is restarting as normal (my guess), the monitor goes live, I get a "healthy" POST beep as usual, my keyboard Scroll and NumPad leds are blinking for a momen as usual, the fans are working, the HDD's are working - only I canot know what actually happens, because my monitor is still blank and if I switch to the integrated videocard will also go off (no signal)
an important note : in the last two months, the fan of my power supply stopped working and I noticed it first time when it smell like burnt, and since then at the first restart of the day I always have to start it manually, with my finger, by knocking on the fan a few times.Could it be just the fan (has a lot of dust gathered) or my power supply is diying?
This is pretty much all I can tell you about my PC and this is the current state is in : it looks like working on the outside, but no image on screen an so, no access to BIOS and I also do not know if my HDD's are detected or not.The PC responds normally to the reset button now and it looks like normally resetting, but nothing really changes and the screen is still blank.
What I know for sure is that now it is resetting, the green light of the mobo is on and not intermitent, HDD's seem to work, all fans are working, I get signal to the monitor from the PCI videocard and the power supply is working (with the manual restart of the fan).
So what do you think is broken?What should I buy?Because I do not want to have the nasty surprise to buy a new mobo and CPU and find out that the power source was actually at fault.
Also, I canot test the components on my other PC, since that one is a socket 478 computer - all I can test on it are the SATA and IDE HDD's.
Thank you in advance!