Articles

Replacing CMOS battery on IBM Think

September 19, 2005 at 20:31:36
Specs: windows 2000, ?

I keep getting a 00192 error message on boot up. I had the cmos battery replaced about three months ago, but I have a feeling the replacement might have been used and may need replacing again. I need help with instructions to replace the battery.



See More: Replacing CMOS battery on IBM Think

Report •


#1
September 19, 2005 at 20:56:27

Turn the computer of and remove the power lead.

Find the battery on the motherboard - it looks like a small silver coin. Ease it out of its clip noting which way it goes and then insert the new on in its place.

When replacing the new battery handle it carefully. Only handle it by its edges. Do not hold it between your fingers as the battery will discharge quite rapidly through your fingers. This could be what happened with the "new" battery.


Stuart


Report •

#2
September 20, 2005 at 03:59:47

What???

It would take about 15 years for a battery to discharge through the fingers. The resistance of skin so high it's measured in meg ohms. The higher the resistance, the less current drawn.

You might have to worry if your hands were soaking wet, but other than that, it's not a factor.

The battery on a thinkpad is usually located on the end of a 2 or 3cm wire with a 2 prong plug, tucked under the plastic flap inside the memory compartment. Turn the machine upside down and pop the small access hatch on the back to the memory compartment, and fish around on the sides for a 2 wire set, and gently pull.


Report •

#3
September 20, 2005 at 06:03:33

The CMOS battery will discharge through your fingers. Although the resistance of the fingers is high. its not that high.

More importantly the internal resistance of the battery which is low, very low for a battery and it will discharge very quickly when given the opportunity.

Short circuit a lithium battery and it is liable to overheat and explode because of its low internal resistance.

Stuart


Report •

Related Solutions

#4
September 20, 2005 at 08:46:00

As a person who has been around electronics since Junior High school, I can tell you this:

Stuart does not know what he is talking about.

First, there is no "coin" battery "on" the motherboard of a Thinkpad

Second, if there was, your "fingers" would absolutely, positively not discharge that battery

(or for that matter, negatively discharge it, ha ha)

Third, go to the IBM site, go to support, and find and download your "hardware maintenance" manual.

That manual will define the error codes, and it will tell you how to tear down and reassemble the machine, and, of course, the location of any internal batteries.

I don't remember for certain (without the manual) on the 600 series, but some Thinkpads have THREE batteries.

1--the main battery

2--the bios battery--the one you want

3--a third battery which "holds" the settings during standby/sleep time

I'll see if I can post the URLs


Report •

#5
September 20, 2005 at 08:51:36

By the way, PLEASE post all info about your machine

Is this a 600 (no suffix) or is it a 600E or 600X? Additionally, what is the type number?

Here's a start:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=ibm&brandind=10&familyind=50083&machineind=0&modelind=0&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&doctypeind=100&doccategoryind=0&operatingsystemind=49979&validate=true

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?subcategoryind=0&familyind=50083&brandind=10&doccategoryind=0&modelind=0&doctypeind=8&validate=true&partnumberind=0&sitestyle=ibm&template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&operatingsystemind=49979&machineind=0

Here's a direct URL to the "hardware maintenance manual:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=ibm&lndocid=LWIK-3SYPX2

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/09n1033.pdf


Report •

#6
September 20, 2005 at 09:13:03

After reading the manual (which you should also do) this will be easy.

Remover the larger of the two covers on the bottom of the Thinkpad, using the appropriate miniature phillips head screwdriver.

The battery is toward the FRONT of the access port, there will be a very small connector, with black and red wires. The battery should be slid under the front lip of the access port, with a special plastic/paper "tape" that folds up and over the lip (directly under the cover) Gently pull this tab out of it's slot, pull the battery out by sliding to the rear. Gently work the connector off--the rest should be reverse.



Report •

#7
September 20, 2005 at 10:14:17

I acknowledge that I made a mistake with the think pad battery. I didn't realise he was referring to a laptop.

However, I stand by my assertion that mishandling CMOS batteries will cause them to discharge through your fingers.

http://www.battery-house.co.uk/safety.shtml

If skin was such a good insulator, static discharge wouldn't be a problem!


Stuart


Report •

#8
September 20, 2005 at 12:15:26

This statement is absolutely untrue----your fingers cannot discharge a battery in that manner---not in 10 years.

Static discharge has nothing to do with this--static discharge IS in fact discharged from an insulator---not a conductor.

This should have been demonstrated to you in your grade school science class, where any number of rubber/plastic/ wool/ etc insulators could have been used to demonstrate static discharge. It has nothing, in fact, to do with your allegation, which (if true) would envolve the RESISTIVE effects between two fingers.

You'll notice, that whoever wrote the "factual" page that you referenced to, mispelled


"Safty"

at the top of the page.


HANDLING A BATTERY WITH YOUR FINGERS IS NOT GOING TO DISCHARGE IT, PERIOD.


Report •

#9
September 20, 2005 at 13:40:46

Stuart:

I am an electronics Engineer and have been for more years than I care to say, and to be frank, you are dead wrong.

A cmos battery is nothing more than a run of the mill lithium battery, the same as any other that you would buy at any drug store. There is nothing special about it. In other words, you handle it the same way you would handle ANY battery... Don't put it in water, don't set fire to it, Don't plug it directly into a wall outlet, and try to avoid ingesting it.

Human skin will not discharge a battery at any noticable rate AT ALL.


Report •


Ask Question