|Hard Disk Drive: Maxtor 6Y120P0|
So this is the Local Hard Disk Drive (where the operating system runs from)
[Please read all of this before replying]
• From time to time, the hard disk drive starts clicking repetitively (using a pattern). The 'loading LED light' on the computer stays on. When it does this for about a minute, whatever is open starts to freeze, then the whole monitor freezes. When it continues this, for about over a minute, the system resets. It goes to load the motherboard screen, then states that NTLDR is missing. The LED light stays on and never turns off. I have to turn off the computer and back on to start working.
• There are times when this happens, it happens for a short time, then everything goes back to normal.
• I don't believe that the hard disk is failing, because it's been doing this for over about 4 years. And it happens in bunches every now and then: so within the few past weeks, it's done this about 6 times. But before this for the last 9 months, it hasn't done it. Before that, it did it for a few weeks... and so on.
• Doing all types of tests on it states that the hard disk is perfect and there is no damage or any warning signs.
• I have Never experienced any damaged files from any of this; everything stays in tact, except for the very rare instances that when the hard disk is 'writing' on a file and this happens, then this file gets damaged. (The same thing as if you are saving a file on a USB stick, then physically pulling it out before it finishes 'writing')
• If you believe that the hard disk is failing, can you refer me to an exactly same situation with the above conditions occurring?
Any help would be appreciated
message edited by pepanee