|"Are you sure you installed the right drivers for it ? "|
"Well, that's a good question, one driver is for raid and the other is for reg. sata devices. "
According to my experiences with several mboards that support RAID and two controller cards that support RAID, one of which is a Masscool combo EIDE / SATA PCI-E X 1 controller card,
- if the drive controller's chipset supports RAID, you must load the RAID drivers - if you load the SATA or EIDE non-RAID drivers for a controller chipset that does support RAID, either Windows will tell you they're the wrong drivers, or they won't work properly.
- you DO NOT have to use RAID or set up a RAID array when the controller's chipset supports RAID - the RAID drivers also support non-RAID use. Using RAID is always optional.
- if there are choices for more than one chipset model number, make sure you install the drivers for the model your mboard or controller card has - examine the chip.
"when booting up i see a raid config. for the blu ray and wd 500. i enter setuo and it states not raid compliant or something, for the drive and wd."
Optical drives cannot use RAID or be in a RAID array.
You need at least two hard drives to be connected to the same RAID capable controller in order to be able to set up a RAID array.
"i probably need to uninstall the raid driver and insert the reg. driver."
See above - when the controller chipset supports RAID, you load the RAID drivers, even if you're not going to use the RAID capability.
" win 7 may have chosen this one. it was hard getting the driver in"
READ the installation instructions that came with the Masscool controller card !!
If instructions for Windows 7 are not there,
- usually the directions for Vista are identical if they're there,
- or check out Masscool's web site
to see if there is info there about installing it in Windows 7,
- or, Masscool didn't make the controller chipset - if you can identify who did, e.g. Silicon Image models start with SI; J Micron ones start with JM - you can also look on the chip maker's web site to see if there are Windows 7 installation directions there.