|More cores doesn't necessarily make the system faster. It all depends on the CPU specs & the system specs as a whole. And your specs are incomplete:|
- What's the make/model of the motherboard?
- What's a "phenom 2 9650"? You either have a Phenom 9650 (1st generation) at 2.3GHz or a Phenom II 965 @ 3.4GHz. There's a huge diference between the 2.
- 8GB DDR2? Is it 533, 667, 800, or 1066? For best performance, it should be DDR2-1066.
- are you running Win7 64-bit? If not, all that RAM is going to waste.
- are the HDDs SATA or IDE/PATA?
- do you have all the latest drivers installed?
Now list the detailed specs to your parents PC so that we can make a fair comparison.